A Second Look at Second Life (SL)

| 4 Comments

OK, I arrived late to this afternoon’s ACE meeting in Second Life, looking like some kind of raccoon hooker (I am totally confident that Intellagirl will help me with a re-do before our next meeting. And, yes, I did get fondled by an avatar or two when I overshot Middleton), but I’m very excited about continuing my explorations of SL, which I first visited during Sara Robins NCTE ACE workshop in Nashville.  Just last week, I heard Bernie Dodge at MacWorld state that he did not yet see classroom applications for SL.  Sixty Minutes is on TV right now.  They just did a feature on the need to introduce high school students to entrepreneurialship.  Oh my, is that ever a SL project waiting to happen – with maybe an ACE  and or NWP guide or two:-).  I’ll admit I was frustrated when first trying to enter, but maybe that was due to reading Joyce Valenza’s post before setting off.  Now that I’ve been in SL, I’m looking forward to return visits.

4 Comments

1. Wow!
    You are adventuresome.
    Please keep writing about the experience with SL. I don’t have the time to explore so I’d like to explore vicariously through you.
    🙂

Kevin

2. I’m thinking if I just set aside 10 minutes a day to explore SL, it will be worth it. I am NOT a game person, but lead by a few NWP folks (Troy Hicks) and NCTE’ers Rob Rozema, Nancy Patterson, Sara Robins), I’m already seeing potential to engage students.

3. I’m sooo sorry to have missed this meeting (I was trapped in another meeting). Keep poking around and be sure to drop me a line if you need any help at all!
    Sarah/Intellagirl

4. Sarah, how funny that you just commented on my post because I just discovered an interview with you on Steve Hargadon’s EdTechLive site – which I’m heading into right now. Thanks for the encouragement and support.