Karl Fisch, You Do “Deserve a Medal”

| 2 Comments

I started reading Karl Fisch’s blog last summer. I think it was through Will Richardson’s blog that I discovered Karl’s Fischbowl. Or maybe it was through David Warlick’s or Bud the Teacher’s posts. But as I read through Karl’s post this morning, I was able to travel back with him to August, when he very generously posted a PowerPoint he was planning to show faculty. A great presentation designed to get teachers thinking about the future and the need to prepare students for it (their future, not our present). The presentation included slides pertinent to Karl’s site, Arapahoe High School.

I also remember, shortly after this above post, another one appearing letting readers know that the PowerPoint was now available as a Flash video. Although I realized the presentation was now more streamlined, I don’t remember thinking there was any kind of xenophobic message there – none whatsoever.

So I am feeling bad for Karl this morning as I read through his post and see some of his second thoughts about the now much viewed – over 2 million!!! – Did You Know video. I had actually already read Will Richardson’s March 23 post Over 2 Million Views, but went back for a re-read this morning. This time I made my first – and last – trip to Tom Hoffman’s blog. Hoffman’s response reminds me of a recent incident I had, on a very minuscule scale compared to Karl’s video, when I sent out via district email a link to a free comic book design website – and got a hand slap from a curriculum coach who, rather than check out the link I provided, dug through the site and found a place where students could post a “happy thought or prayer.” Sort of ended my motivation to share resources. I certainly hope that will not be the case for Karl Fisch.

Ironically, it was only yesterday that I included a link to Did You Know in a response message on the NWP Tech Liaison’s listserv. And, while on a roll, sent it on to my bookclub listserv, since we’re reading The World Is Flat for our April read.

I want to thank and acknowledge Karl for sharing a wonderful resource. I second Will Richardson’s statement: “I agree with Will – “Oh. My. Goodness. You deserve a medal.
Technorati Tags: ,

2 Comments