Blogging Teachers Helping Blogging Teachers

| 6 Comments

Just finished a wonderful week at the Area 3 Writing Project’s summer tech institute Telling Stories in a Digital Age. We started the week with a look at digital story telling as a genre, using Movie Maker 2 as the video editing tool. Throughout the week, we introduced blogging using Edublogs. Unlike the Blogging 101 and Blogging 102 two-hour workshops I do for my district, having a week to consider the possibilities of professional and classroom blogging and to explore all the bell ‘n whistles James has added to Edublogs made a huge difference in what the teachers walked away with at the end of the week!

Thanks to powerful examples I was able to share from other teachers’ blogs, I think every teacher in the group saw new possibilities for teaching and learning. During the course of the week, the two most revisited teacher blogs, I am sure, were my Sacramento neighbor Alice Mercer‘s classroom blog and my NWP colleague Kevin Hodgson’s blog. So Alice and Kevin, if you’re reading this post, thank you for providing effective models for this dedicated, reflective group of teachers.

If you head over to the A3WP Blogsite‘s Blogroll, you will see clear evidence of blogging teachers helping blogging teachers, both in form and content.

One of my mentor teachers told me that a good workshop always starts on time and ends early. I made sure we followed her suggestion each of the five days of the workshop. But I also ended the week with another guideline for a good workshop: Allow enough time and flexibility in a workshop for the participants to go beyond your agenda – and everyone will benefit! By Friday, I was definitely as much a learner as a presenter. Lot 49 and Hungry Heads, for instance became the video widget experts; Mrs. Duenas showed me it was worth adding a little html code in widget textboxes, and Pat Davis‘s tutorial on designing a header for your blog went to a new dimension in Miss Dhanda’s blog.

A great week of blogging teachers helping new blogging teachers!

6 Comments

1. I am honored to have been “used” in such a way.
    And to be in Alice’s company is wonderful, too.
    Thank you!
    Kevin

2. This whole Web 2.0 thing makes collaborative learning so seamless. If we went back only a few years, you would be doing your thing out in Western Mass and I would be doing an A3WP thing here in Cali – but we would have no connection beyond knowing each other by name and having some vague idea of the kinds of NWP projects we were each working on. And Alice, who lives near me although we’ve never met f2f, would never have shared her thoughts and samples with you and me and other blogosphere travelers. This kind of colloboration just doesn’t happen through email!

3. I’d be honored to be quoted! =) I posted a link to an article in my latest blog that you might find interesting…
    ~Aman

4. I’m heading over to your blog right now.

I shared your beautiful banner with our district webmaster today. She was very impressed!

5. Thank you for your kind words! I’m working on getting the okey-dokeys for having a class blog next year. Wish me luck!

6. But you were able to have a class blog last year, Alice. Has something changed policy wise in Sac City? Is there anything I can do to support your efforts at classroom blogging? Write a testimonial? Write emails? Show up at a meeting? Just let me know!