Happy 10th Birthday to Blogging!

| 2 Comments

Four days ago, I clicked on a link in an email from Steve Hargadon, via Classroom 2.0, with an invitation to celebrate blogging’s 10th birthday by posting a Voice Thread.

“Some of us believe that blogging, as one of the great entry points into ‘read/write’ web (or “Web 2.0″), is having a transformative impact on education and learning, and that we are at the start of a new renaissance that will be defined by the participatory, contributive, and collaborative nature of the Web.”

At that time, Steve and three others had posted. Since it was already late, I jumped in the next morning (I think I might have been the 6th person to add a comment). Just checked back…to find 28 people have added their thoughts. I am still in awe of the participatory possibilities of Web 2.0!

I saw the “transformative” impact of blogging on teaching and learning five years ago, when I delved into my first student blog project and discovered that a group of disengaged high school students (already “dismissed” from the traditional high school and attending a continuation school) were reading a posting after school hours – when they did not have to. The new tools, such as Voice Thread, Slideshare, and podcasting, continue to make a good tool even better.

[kml_flashembed movie="http://voicethread.com/book.swf?b=33484" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" wmode="transparent" /]

Happy Birthday, Blogs!

For some reason, I feel the need to end this post with a slightly different Happy Birthday wish (?) for Web 2.0 – from THE Journal’s Steve Weinbstock – http://thejournal.com/articles/21374.

Technorati Tags:

2 Comments

1. Gail
    Thanks for the reality check with the Journal article.
    It helps to have perspective and other opinions in mind as well as the celebratory nature of tech developments.
    Take care
    Kevin

2. I agree, Kevin. I know that Web 2.0 really does make a difference, yet at the same time I loved Steve Weinstock’s humorous take.