Day in a Sentence – Join the conversation!

| 2 Comments

dayinsentenceicon Thanks to an invitation from NWP colleague Bonnie Kaplan, I’m hosting this week’s Day in a Sentence.

If you’re new to DIAS, a warm welcome! We are an international community of educators that on a weekly basis do some kind of wrap-up of the past week. Often the host of the week will suggest a theme or format (e.g., “Wrap up your week in a 3-word sentence.”).

Considering our current economic realities, I’m pretty sure, to some degree, all of us are facing some challenges in our school communities. With so much bad news in the media (and in our lunch rooms too), I’d love to hear something that inspired you this week. Something that made the week worthwhile. But if you just need to vent a bit, that’s fine too.

So please click on the comment link and share your DIAS! At the end of the week, I’ll release all comments.  Hope to see yours there:-)

Here’s mine:

I spent Wednesday afternoon with a group of 5th graders at a Title 1 (high poverty) school, where students were wrapping up their documentary film Hope for Haiti, when a student shared, “I feel like I’ve done something good.”

2 Comments

1. The look on my son’s face when he saw his requested dinosaur birthday cake, was confirmation that the hours spent baking and frosting were the perfect way to celebrate FOUR!

2. I teach kindergarten chrilden. It is absolutely amazing to me how much the chrilden get out of Writers Workshop and creating text for science reports and the like. I have plenty of chrilden who, when all the work board jobs are finished will say, Can I do some Writers Workshop? I start that block in January and don’t begin actual guided reading small group instruction until later in March. By the time the chrilden get to the reading, they have established a stronger idea about writing for a purpose and can take the encoding skills into the text for decoding. I know my class enjoys reading and as much help as I can give I do but every day the vast majority are working independently. The top readers/writers are still in early reading texts but I have shown them how they can rewrite (we call it editing some more) their finished pieces to make them even better. The stakes are low and the rewards are high. I invariably find that the writing builds a stronger bridge for the reader and this can play back and forth.