Merit 2011 – Week 2 Tuesday Take-Aways

| 0 comments

Like every morning at Merit, we jumped right in with awesome tools:

• Mobile Devices – If you’re wondering about the differences between the iPad and Android Xoom, here’s a chart that Jeff and Ben created. Regardless of your brand choice, this Apple video provides a range of ideas for tablets in educational settings.
  • Scratch – Developed and supported by MIT,  Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art — and share your creations on the web. I’ve seen first-hand with a group of 5th graders in my district how engaging, challenging, and rewarding it is to create a Scratch project.  Because game programming is a whole new world for me, I loved and learned a lot from the kid-created video tutorials.  And no need to limit Scratch to elementary students.  Check out the assignments Galileo High School (San Francisco) Ben Chen assigns to his Comp App students.

I’m feeling very fortunate to be a part of the Merit 2011 Institute.  With 7 days down; 3 to go, it’s not just the selection of free tools I’m learning how to use that makes this program an exception PD opportunity. It’s the conversations that always come back to how students will benefit from the tools that puts Merit at the top of my summer learning experiences.