OnCue – Beautiful Resources from Spring 2010 Edition

One of the  many benefits of attending the annual CUE conference is the year’s subscription to the OnCue Journal.  My Spring 2010 copy just arrived today and, as usual, contains a few gems. My favorites are the links from CLRN’s Kelly Day in her Global Connections article:

• African Voices – from the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History – This beautiful online collection “examines the diversity, dynamism, and global influence of Africa’s peoples and cultures over time in the realms of family, work, community, and natural environment.” Grades 6-10
  • International Children’s Digital Library – from the University of Maryland – A growing, international collection of children’s books, with a “focus on identifying materials that will help children understand the world around them and the global society in which they live.”  The selections are in multiple languages and include a wide assortment of authors – ranging from award-winning Calling the Doves’ Juan Felipe Herrera to featured authors such as Barry Polisar, whose book Insect Soup brings you up close and personal to critters such as the lice:

lice

Illustration by David Clark

Take my advice, avoid lice. They simply are not very nice.”

Oh, and besides an ICDL widget to add to your blog, you’ll find a link to the ICDL app for your iPhone. I love this project and website! Grades K-adult

• Arctic Climate Perspectives– from WGBH Educational Foundation – A great video for viewing the impact of global warming on Barrow, Alaska. “The Inupiaq people who live in Barrow present their observations of these changes based on their centuries-old knowledge of their environment, and describe how these changes are already affecting their lives.” Grades 6-12
  • California of the Past – Changing Lives through Film – Kudos to the Oakland Museum of California for this wonderful collection of short videos from community members sharing their California experiences. Great examples for teaching the art of first-person narratives! Grades 4-12

I’ll be heading down to Palm Springs later this week to attend the Spring CUE Conference. Hope to meet Kelly Day and thank her for the above links.