Heading to Manzanar

| 2 Comments

Photo by Mark Kirchner

I’m packing my overnight bag for a weekend excursion to the Owens Valley, to visit Manzanar, a former WWII  internment camp for citizens of Japanese heritage. I’ll be traveling with California State University, Sacramento, professor Wayne Mayeda, a group of former internees, students from CSUS,  and a team of teachers from my district.

Our journey commemorates an injustice that began during the spring of 1942, in an act that denied thousands of citizens of their constitutional rights when the U.S. government rounded up the entire West Coast Japanese American community and “relocated” them to mass incarceration camps.

The very talented videographer Doug Niva will be joining me for the trip.  Our goal is to interview those who experienced – or witnessed – first hand the internment experience at Manzanar. We will be adding those primary accounts and reflections to our growing Time of Remembrance website.

So if you teach about Japanese internment and have something in particular you’d like me to research during our whirlwind weekend, please let me know.

2 Comments

1. Thank you for sharing my photograph of the girls picking wildflowers at Manzanar so many years ago. In the future I would hope that you would credit all the writers and artists when you share their work. In my case please feel free to share the website, http://www.manzanarpilgrimage.com

I hope you will attend the pilgrimage next year.
    Sincerely,

Mark Kirchner

2. Thank you, Mark, for the credit information. I apologize for not having that information with the original post. Just a suggestion, your credit information is at the bottom of the landing page, but it would be helpful to have your information with each photo too. I also completely understand if you would like me to remove it.

I’m on your beautiful site right now, reading your Statement. This is a wonderful piece. For me, the internment story was a hidden history, a story that was not included in my high school US History class. I too feel the need to document the stories of those who experienced first hand the overnight loss of the rights guaranteed to all citizens. What you have succeeded in capturing in your compelling photographs, I hope to capture through audio files, thereby capturing the “living voices” of the internment experience.