More Resources for Promoting a Love of Reading

| 4 Comments

Since reading Kelly Gallagher‘s Readicide, I’ve been thinking about online resources to help find books our students just can’t put down, as they are swept away in a “reading flow.” Here are a few of my favorites:

• Educating Alice: If you’re an elementary teacher and can’t find the time to read Monica Edinger’s blog, then follow her on Twitter.  She’s on vacation in Alaska right now, but even as she explores Denali, she’s sending out Tweets with 5 star recommendations, such as yesterday’s link to A. S. Byatt’s The Children’s Book. Eleven years ago, Monica introduced me to Harry Potter, months before the Harry Potter tsunami hit the US.
  • The Reading Zone: Another resource I discovered via Monica’s blog is the Reading Zone. Written by a 6th grade teacher, this blogger provides excellent book reviews and shares her passion and strategies for promoting the love of reading.
  • The Book Whisperer: I discovered Book Whisper Donalyn Miller  through a post on the National Writing Project’s site.  Her reviews, recommendations, and strategies target a broad range of readers, including adults.

The Book Whisperer addresses topics such as Creating Readers – Part 1, and Creating Readers – Part 2 in her column for Teacher Magazine.

• How about some of those YA books you already know your students would love if you could just get them to pick them up?  Robert Rozema‘s pre-service teachers have created an awesome bank of YA book talk podcasts – just enough to peak even a reluctant reader’s interest.  Checkout, for instance, this team approach to Walter Dean Myer’s Monster.

If you have more recommendations, please jump in with a comment!

4 Comments

1. It’s so important to draw attention to reading, and attract reluctant readers to it,especially boys.

I grew up as a reluctant reader, in spite of the fact that my father published over 70 books. Now I write action-adventures & mysteries, especially for tween boys, that avid boy readers and girls enjoy just as much.

My blog, Books for Boys http://booksandboys.blogspot.com is dedicated to drawing attention to the importance of reading.

Keep up your good work.

Max Elliot Anderson

• Thanks, Max, for the resource. I’m a big fan of Ralph Fletcher and appreciate his efforts to help teachers view some fundamental differences between boys and girls in their approaches to both reading and writing. I’m glad to have another link to add to the list.

2. My son is an avid reader, but can get into ruts. He has limited his reading to DK Eyewittness books, and Magic Treehouse, which he fell in love with back in 3/4th grade. Unfortunately, at almost 11, these are not as challenging as they should be. I’ve revived reading aloud to him before bed (which is how I got him hooked on Magic Treehouse). We’re doing the Olymipian series by Rick Riordan and we’re almost done with Book 1: The Lightening Thief. I think reading to students in a good way to introduce books that could be high interest if they gave them a chance.

• Hello friend Alice,

Some of my favorite childhood memories are of my mother reading bedtime stories. My brother (3 years older) and I each had our separate books, but I always joined both read alouds and was, consequently, as big a fan of, for instance, the Hardy Boys as I was of Nancy Drew. And as a young reader (via my mom’s voice) stepped into – and loved – many of the classics (Count of Monte Cristo, Robinson Crusoe, etc.).

I think in the school setting reading aloud often steps in grade school. What a shame. I know several middle school teachers, though, that continue read alouds, building not only a love of reading but also building on potential reading levels.

Lucky Leroy 🙂